Reporting to the Director of Administration, the Cook is responsible for preparing, producing, cooking, heating and serving meals and snacks from a variety of foods from fresh, canned, dry or frozen states for the residents, staff and guests according to recipes. The Cook assists in other related tasks in a designated food service production and/or service area.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
In addition to all components of the above position summary the following Duties and Responsibilities are essential to successful performance in this position.
- Maintain inventory of kitchen and food supplies, as well as all related logs (i.e., temperature and all others).
- Ensures timely and appropriate preparation of 2 meals each day, Monday through Friday, and prepares weekend meals in advance each Friday.
- Ensures timely and appropriate preparation of other food items as requested and required by contract.
- Maintains a food handler permit and all required and requested certifications.
- Assists with kitchen inspections, health department inspections, fire department inspections, and documentation of kitchen equipment checks and verification. Routinely inspects and ensures all equipment is running in accordance with the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Sets up and merchandises food and food service areas and serves food. Operates kitchen equipment such as electric mixers, slicers, choppers, and grinders.
- Utilizes kitchenware such as knives, spatulas, whisks, tongs, spoons and ladles.
- Provides client supervision and training in food services when clients are in the kitchen and dining room.
- Follows routines for ensuring all food items are of quality content and ensures proper rotation of food items.
- Provides specialized menus for events and special dietary items as needed for clients.
- Maintains and submits documentation in a complete and timely fashion to meet agency standards and funding requirements.
- Is compliant with all Federal, State and County standards and reporting requirements. Attends training as requested and required.
- Assists in the monitoring, reduction and management of food waste.
- Cleans and sanitizes pots, pans and kitchen utensils.
- Performs daily, weekly and monthly deep cleaning of the facility, service areas, and all kitchen equipment such as counters, tables, ovens, refrigerators, freezers, mixers, transient hot carts, mobile carts and rolling racks.
- Mops floors and disposes of waste according to the Casa Treatment Center Operating Procedures, OSHA, the Federal, State and County Health Department processes and procedures.
- Assists with the planning, ordering and stocking of food and kitchen supplies.
- Follows Casa Treatment Center policies and procedures when preparing, cooking and serving meals, which reflect the minimum expectations according to health department codes.
- Attends all required staff training sessions in accordance with Casa Treatment Center and state licensing requirements, completes all training on time.
- Attends and participates in program and all staff meetings.
- Adheres to and promotes the Casa Treatment Center Mission, Vision and Values while acting as a role model for others.
- Other duties as assigned.
- High school diploma or equivalent required
- One (1) to (3) years of food preparation and kitchen experience required.
- Experience in commercial or institutional food service and preparation preferred.
- California Food Handler Card (i.e., ServSafe) required
- Manager’s Food Safety Certification preferred
- Must maintain a valid California Drivers' License, have proof of automobile insurance and maintain a safe driving record based on Casa Treatment Center policy
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
To perform this position successfully, you must be able to perform each essential duty and responsibility satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential duties and responsibilities. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required
- Demonstrated commitment and adherence to Casa Treatment Center Mission, Vision and Values
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with others
- Communicate effectively with others both orally and in writing
- Ability to work effectively in a fast-paced, changing environment
- Ability to establish and consistently enforce appropriate boundaries with clients
- Ability to model positive behavior and demeanor
- Knowledge of and demonstrated skill with quantity food preparation
- Knowledge of modern equipment related to automated meal assembly and packaging
- Knowledge of concepts of food receiving, handling, storage, inventorying and ordering
- Knowledge of safety rules and practices pertaining to food processing establishments
- Knowledge of applicable health and sanitation standards
- Knowledge of basic nutritional concepts
- Excellent time management and organizational skills
- Ability to be flexible, a problem solver, self-directed, customer service-oriented and collaborative
- Skills and ability to engage and develop a rapport with clients and families of various backgrounds